Monday, February 11, 2008

Anyone Know the Science Behind This?


For those Popular Science readers in the crowd, perhaps you've seen this ad in your magazine. It's for the Pulstar Plug. Not just 100 times more powerful than your standard spark plug, no. It's 20,000 times more powerful. For added effect, let's repeat that: twenty thousand times more powerful!

I'm not a mechanic nor am I an electrician or a scientist. I don't really even possess an in-depth knowledge of spark plugs. If you are any of these, we welcome your expertise on the matter.

The Pulstar Plug uses some electrical components that I'm familiar with so I understand why it does what it does, I think. But is there some hard evidence to suggest that this kind of plug will really give you the benefits that the web site suggests?

The plug creates a more powerful spark because of the special "pulse circuit" which appears to be a capacitor of sorts. The explanations on the web site indicate that the intensity of the spark is then increased due to this. Because the spark is more powerful the combustion of the gas is faster causing an increase in horsepower and overall efficiency.

Again, I'm no scientist, but I'm open enough to believe this sort of thing. But I'd like to hear from someone more educated than me. What do you think? At $24.95 per unit, is it worth the investment?

1 comment:

James said...

There are several other hydrocarbons contained in gasoline but they have different wait times for burn . The normal energy derived from gasoline is about 18% leaving the remainder to be burnt in the catalytic converter or sent out the exhaust/ This spark plug causes more of the normally waste hydrocarbons to be utilized as energy .

The phase #1 " Hydro Assist Fuel Cell ( HAFC ) system does even better because it causes each molecule to become three ( 3 ) making it easier to vaporize and results in a 60% burn . The phase #2" Pre Ignition Catalytic Converter( PICC ) converts the remaining 40% into plasma so it can easily converted to vapor . The only exhaust is oxygen .